 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1358
Re: LEGO parts -- genuine?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 20:45:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Simon Gammon writes:
Whilst on the subject of Lego / not Lego, I have a question.
I have recently bought at a boot fair a bag of Lego, most appearing to
be the same era as the stuff I have from childhood, c 1970's. A fair bit
of the Lego is obviously different though. The plastic is of a poorer
standard, showing distortions and mold marks on normally perfect
surfaces. The "LEGO" embossed on the studs is present, although the font
appears to be different. The colours are slightly weaker than the
"standard" Lego and in this case are Yellow, Red and White.

The question is (finally) this. Is this genuine Lego of perhaps earlier
origin than the rest, or is it fake and if so, any clues as to its
source?

Do you have a possibility to take a snapshot of the parts?
I would be inclined to think they may be parts from the 50's, not in ABS but
in acetate. The molds were different then, and the logo was slightly
different too. I cannot be sure of this though, all I know about these parts
comes from what I've read here before and not from first-hand experience :-/

If the word LEGO is there, it's quite surely LEGO; what it may be is *older*
than you think...

Pedro