 MediaWatch / 2774
Re: Enter the LEGO(R) Design Challenge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 06:27:52 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Joseph Gonzalez wrote:
   i understand and accept the rules. my main point was the cheap notion of ‘let’s have a contest to gather LOTS of ideas for (relatively) free rather than pay our on-staff designers to get creative’.

You’re still assuming that the main goal of this is to glean ideas for use in future sets. On the surface, it appears that the main goal is to get cool models that they can use as graphics for the 2010 Holiday catalog. Graphics which in no way could they get to market in time to actually sell in the 2010 Holiday catalog. That may or may not come later on, but not this year. And I’d venture a guess that if you weren’t at least slightly geeked about the idea of seeing something you designed on the catalog cover, you wouldn’t have entered anything at all (then again, maybe you’re just after the prize money?).