 Marketplace / Theory / 971
Re: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 18:13:53 GMT

One comment...  In the classic sense, a 'sealed-bid auction' is exactly
that. The bids are all sealed until a specific time. Depending on the
auction and the rules, the bidders may or may not be present when the
bids are 'opened'. Auctions which we are referring to as 'sealed-bid'
are in fact 'best offer'. The key difference being that the seller has
knowledge of the bids before the close of bidding. In a real
'sealed-bid' auction, the seller has no knowledge (and can not act on)
the current outstanding bids.

Perhaps the lugnet auction mechanism should support a sealed bid format.

Ray

Scott A wrote:

- Sealed-bid auctions are "technically" (by name) auctions but in • fundamental
  principle are no different from "or-best-offer" straight sales.  OBO's • are
  OK in .buy-sell-trade because OBO is a completely natural way to conduct
  this type of barter, but to avoid flamage, announcements of this type
  probably shouldn't use the word auction.

Sealed bid auctions : I may be the only person that does this : if you mail
the seller and ask what the best bid is to date (I did it once) they tell
you. So, in reality, these can become just plain old auctions. But either
way, as long as they have a designated home it does not really matter.

--
mailto:rsanders@svic.net
Experienced Macintosh developer seeks telecomuting position.