 Marketplace / Theory / 949
Re: So what's a b-s-t announcement? (was: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.faq
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 01:28:33 GMT

Shiri Dori wrote in message ...
OK, I don't participate in much auctions...

But I was wondering about Buy-sell-trade annoucements.
Is it OK to post a b-s-t announcement in the appropriate group?
For example, I want to trade a Belville set but I realize the chances to • find
someone that'll want it are slim. So I cross-post it to .belville and hope • for
the best.
Or, I have a Guarded Inn set (1) that I know would be of interest to castle
fans. So I CP to .castle, or even post only in .castle.
Would such a thing be OK?

I think we should clarify things with other types of market announcements at
the same time we clarify auctions, however, this clarification falls under
the nature of guidelines rather than rules with the current structure of the
T&C.

With that in mind, here is a cut at some guidelines:

There is a set of newsgroups in the lugnet.market hierarchy whose purpose is
to announce and discuss auctions, sales, trades, shopping tips, etc. These
newsgroups should be the primary resource for this type of posting, however
there are situations where it may be appropriate to post to other groups.
Before posting outside the market groups, read the charter of the group you
are about to post in to make sure it doesn't ask to not have market posts
(the charter for an arbitrary group lugnet.X.Y.Z can be found at
http://www.lugnet.com/X/Y/Z/?n=1, the T&C (for all of lugnet) may be found
at http://www.lugnet.com/X/Y/Z/?n=2 ) Some examples are:

- creation of a new on-line resource for conducting auctions, sales, or
trades. Such a post may be made to lugnet.announce, but should not announce
a specific auction, sale, or trade. If the nature of the resource is very
specific to a particular theme it may be appropriate to post in the
appropriate theme group, likewise if the resource is specific to a region of
the world, it may be appropriate to post in the appropriate loc group(s).

- if you have a large quantity of sets or parts for a specific theme to
sell/trade, it may be appropriate to post to the theme group, however, you
should take into account that people reading that group really want to read
about new creations, techniques, etc relating to their theme. If they want
to buy/sell/trade, they'll probably check out the market groups.

- a query to find out possible interest in a set or parts may be appropriate
in a theme group since responses from people who are not in the market to
buy may have valuable input. The request should be crafted in such a way as
to be clear that the reason for the request is not to actually solicit
offers, but to evaluate whether it is worth selling (or even auctioning) a
set, or if it is worth going to the store you just discovered the motherlode
at and buying up a bunch of sets to re-sell. It is also advisable to do some
research before posting. If you find a hint that the set you want to
potentially sell is in high demand, then it is more appropriate than if you
find that the set you want to sell is being sold by www.big-toy-bargains.com
for 10% of MSRP (of course if what you wanted to announce was that
big-toy-bargains HAD this particular set for 10% of MSRP, it may be very
appropriate to post...).

- if you wish to sell/trade only with people in your local region, it may be
appropriate to post to the appropriate loc group(s). It is wise to look over
the history of the group however to make sure market posts are not
unwelcome, also make sure there isn't a market group for that region (none
currently exist, but I would like to encourage that if the people in a
region come to a consensus that they DON'T want region specific market posts
in the loc group, that a lugnet.market.loc.XYZ or lugnet.loc.XYZ.market
group be created, and also the charter of the group be modified).

In general though, if you are in doubt about posting a market post to a
non-market group, it's probably not a good idea to do so.

Frank