 Marketplace / Theory / 950
Re: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 08:48:30 GMT

- Sealed-bid auctions are "technically" (by name) auctions but in • fundamental
  principle are no different from "or-best-offer" straight sales.  OBO's • are
  OK in .buy-sell-trade because OBO is a completely natural way to conduct
  this type of barter, but to avoid flamage, announcements of this type
  probably shouldn't use the word auction.

Sealed bid auctions : I may be the only person that does this : if you mail
the seller and ask what the best bid is to date (I did it once) they tell
you. So, in reality, these can become just plain old auctions. But either
way, as long as they have a designated home it does not really matter.

- Crossposting between .auction and .buy-sell-trade is not verboten, but • in
  most cases is probably not the right thing to do.  An example of • something
  which probably should be OK is a post-auction straight sale listing • things
  which didn't sell in an auction (after it has run its course and • closed).
  Such a posting should probably have the 'Followup-To:' header field set • like
  this:

     Newsgroups: lugnet.market.auction,lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade

The only other reason I can _now_ think of for crossposting between these
two groups is the "bad trader alert" type posts. These posts usually
acomplish very little, but I'm sure they make the victim feel quite a bit
better.

- Posting an auction announcement to the wrong group, followed immediately • by
  an apology, is worth tolerating, but if it becomes a pattern, then • that's
  something not worth tolerating.  Sincere intentions IMHO ought to count • in
  the beginning, but after repeated botch-ups, the intentions matter less • and
  less, leaving the actions to speak for themselves.  Scotty on Star Trek
  once said, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."
  However, at least initially, people deserve the benefit of the doubt,
  and it shouldn't be assumed that initial transgressions are intentional,
  especially if the poster is a newbie.

Well if the condition of Scotty's wife is anything to go by, I think he has
been fooling around too much.

Scott A