 Marketplace / Theory / 951
Re: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 09:06:49 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Scott Arthur writes:
- Sealed-bid auctions are "technically" (by name) auctions but in
  fundamental principle are no different from "or-best-offer" straight
  sales.  OBO's are OK in .buy-sell-trade because OBO is a completely
  natural way to conduct this type of barter, but to avoid flamage,
  announcements of this type probably shouldn't use the word auction.

Sealed bid auctions : I may be the only person that does this : if you mail
the seller and ask what the best bid is to date (I did it once) they tell
you. So, in reality, these can become just plain old auctions.

Yeah, good point.  Once someone does do that, then their auction is no longer
a sealed-bid auction, which means that (especially if they go out soliciting
higher bids) it definitely doesn't belong in .buy-sell-trade in that case.
(Not that a "sealed bid auction" belongs in .buy-sell-trade, but an OBO sale
announced to .buy-sell-trade which mutates into open or semi-open
counteroffers should migrate over to .auction at that point.)

The only other reason I can _now_ think of for crossposting between these
two groups is the "bad trader alert" type posts. These posts usually
acomplish very little, but I'm sure they make the victim feel quite a bit
better.

Ah -- yes -- good.  Not that I'm a big fan of those types of posts, but
certainly it ought to be allowed that they be crossposted to those two groups.

--Todd