 Marketplace / Theory / 829
Re: WalMart, Clearance, Privacy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:44:06 GMT

David C. Pyatt wrote in message ...
(I wonder if there are 'null zip codes' like there are 'null social
security numbers' - zips that are certain never to get assigned anywhere.
I wouldn't mind a list of those to use in such situations...)

You could always just give them some random zip, such as one from across the
country (then you just need to figure out how to get a significant number of
people to all give the same zip, making sure it isn't a simple keyboard
error different from a reasonable one, and get them wondering why people
from California are shopping at a Wal-Mart in New Jersey [or whatever two
states are involved]).

Now if the data were collected on a national level, I wonder if all of us
Lugnetters using the same zip would cause anything interesting to be
determined by the marketers?

At TRU I have taken to just telling them they don't need my number, and then
they usually just enter in all zeros or something.

Frank