 Marketplace / Shopping / 2429
Re: WalMart, Clearance, Privacy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:31:56 GMT

When asked for a zip code, I usually give them a zip code that is obviously a
lie -such as 90210 (as in Beverly Hills 90210).  That generally pisses off
the cashier, but I have never been accused of lying when I've used it (in Iowa
and Pittsburgh).

I give my Kentucky ZIP at my local Toys R US (in SC) when they ask.  It is
particularly fun because they almost always assume the first two numbers(since
all of the surrounding towns have ZIPs that start the same way).  They either
have to bother to backspace, or just zero out the rest of the number.  Several
times I've had looks that were obviously meant to say that they thought I was
making the number up.

I've seen the ZIP thing at Wal-Mart from time to time, but I've never been
asked for mine.  00000 is what they usually enter.  This all reminds me of when
I used to shop at Radio Shack and get asked 20 questions to buy batteries.

Ben Roller