 Marketplace / Shopping / 2363
Re: WalMart, Clearance, Privacy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:56:33 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Jeff Johnston writes:

The Sphinx Secret Surprise was also down to $9, and Ninja Surprise to $5.
Mummy's Tomb is still holding at $14.

Lot's of Mummy Tombs are left out where I am, just about everything else is
gone.  I'll probably wait for another round of reductions on it before I'll
bite.  Annoyingly, the Stone Tower Bridge is still $39, but the Wal-Mart person
there thought it would eventually be reduced further since they didn't seem to
be moving.

Anyway, the other issue I wanted to mention is WalMart's new policy of
asking for your zip code when you make a purchase. I don't know how
anybody else feels, but as for me, I think it's none of their business
where I live (or what my phone number is - a practice which some stores
have started).

I have two answers: "Are you going to give me a discount for helping in your
marketing survey?  No, well, then that's my answer, too."  Or the more
straightforward, "No."

I talked to 2 WM employees this weekend.  The first one told me that she
*had* to have my zip code to open her register.  When I went to the
second, I found out that that was not, in fact, the case.  Just a piece of
useful information for those of you who don't like to give out personal
info like that.

Just say no!  :-)

(I wonder if there are 'null zip codes' like there are 'null social
security numbers' - zips that are certain never to get assigned anywhere.
I wouldn't mind a list of those to use in such situations...)

I've also teld 'em "Zero, zero, zero, zero, zero."

Bruce