 Marketplace / Theory / 824
Re: WalMart, Clearance, Privacy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 17:37:28 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Jeff Johnston writes:
The WM near me has the Super LEGO value sets on clearance for $14 - this
is the set with the Rock Raiders crew, ResQ Speedboat, Ninja Blaster,
Frontier Patrol, and a LEGO Classic set. Oh, and a blue Technic case.  I
snagged one because I was thinking about getting another RR Crew set, I
wanted the Ninja catalput, and the Classic set had some nice pieces.

There are a few of those left at my local WM, i'm still waiting to see what
happens there, though.

Anyway, the other issue I wanted to mention is WalMart's new policy of
asking for your zip code when you make a purchase. I don't know how
anybody else feels, but as for me, I think it's none of their business
where I live (or what my phone number is - a practice which some stores
have started).

I talked to 2 WM employees this weekend.  The first one told me that she
*had* to have my zip code to open her register.  When I went to the
second, I found out that that was not, in fact, the case.  Just a piece of
useful information for those of you who don't like to give out personal
info like that.

(I wonder if there are 'null zip codes' like there are 'null social
security numbers' - zips that are certain never to get assigned anywhere.
I wouldn't mind a list of those to use in such situations...)

I don't see what harm can come from WM knowing what area of town you live in.
They aren't going to canvas the entire zip code with mailings in the hope of
hitting your house and they aren't going to drive around looking for someone
who fits your description.
When I worked at Best Buy years ago, I was told that we asked for the
customer's zip code as the quickest and least intrusive way to determine where
paying customers come from, and that the results were used to plot future
store locations. If you drive 40 miles to the nearest WM because your town
doesn't have one yet, maybe this info will tell them that they need to build
closer to you. At least that's what I was told.

-Adam

PS. As for giving my phone number to TRU, I think that goes too far. And don't
even get me started on Radio Shack...