 Marketplace / Theory / 770
Re: Insane prices.... nothing new
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:32:48 GMT

Doug Finney wrote in message ...
Oh, and regarding those "nuts" who bid more than MSRP for 2000 sets before
they showed up in their local stores... How many people rushed out and
payed full price for them as soon as they could find them, knowing full • well
they'd turn up on sale for 20% off within a month or two? Same lunacy,
different price point IMO. :-)

Perhaps it is lunacy to buy the new sets right when they come out, but there
is a high degree of desire to "get the new sets, and see the new parts." I
think there is even a real "value" to the thrill of getting a new set before
it's been discussed to death. Also, some sets may never go on sale (has
anyone tracked how many of the Belville sets for example eventually show up
on special?), or at least not in very many places. I waited quite a while
before picking up 5986 Amazon Ancient Ruins before I finally found a K-Mart
which had one (well, two - I finally decided to get two of those instead of
one of those and 6456 Mission Control) in stock during a BOGO 50% Off sale.

I've enjoyed reviewing the new sets and making a contribution to the
community. Of course I waited for a sale before buying 2nd copies of any of
the sets...

Frank