 Marketplace / Theory / 765
Re: Insane prices.... nothing new
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:42:55 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, John DiRienzo writes:
(follow-ups directed to lugnet.market.theory)
   I was looking at old RTL auction posts via Dejanews, and at Matt Chiles
past auction realizations on his site, and thought to myself that prices
have dropped quite significantly in the past couple years.  Arbitrage and
eBay seem like good things to me, despite the inconsistencies.
  A sealed Lego Castle (6081 or 6086) sold for $800 in one of Matt Chiles
past auctions, and I don't think we have seen any price like that in the
past year!

800 bucks for a 6086?  Wow!  That must have happened during my dark ages.
Matt's final auction bids are insane because he has a well established
reputation over the years and also includes free shipping and insurance.  So
if you buy something from him, you're 100% sure it will arrive as described.

The supply and demand are interesting.
By the way how's this for comparison?
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231247506
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231249212
Blacktron Renegade and Message Intercept Base selling for the same price.  The
renegade went a bit higher than expected so I gave the high bidder a free
meteor monitor to go with his winnings and cut down on his shipping.

Also for an interesting fact, I bought an unopened red beard runner on eBay
for $81.  In my large pirate auction, it was sold opened for $152.50 which was
more than a near-mint black seas barracuda went for ($148.01).
The bearded runner had a box but still, it looks good displayed in a dark
closet while the BSB would look great displayed anywhere and is a 10 times as
good of a model as the 6289 is.  I don't understand what people see in the RBR.