 Marketplace / Theory / 768
Re: Insane prices.... nothing new
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:04:36 GMT

John D. writes:

  For those complaining about insane eBay prices, I say love it while it
lasts, we are in a buyers market, for now, but probably not much longer.

I sometimes wonder how long the people who marvel at the "outrageous" eBay
prices have actually been following Lego prices. Sure, there are exceptions
where people pay way more than they need to but as a rule discontinued Lego
sets are much cheaper than they used to be.

Anyone out there remember trying to find Forestmen or Blacktron I sets
pre-eBay? And how about the fabled Guarded Inn? I'm not sure I even heard
of one selling before they started showing up on eBay. I'm sure 5 years
ago there were many on r.t.l who would've been happy to get one for double
the current going rate.

And around that same time I sold a MIB 6812 Grid Trekkor for $30. Thats
$1.30 per piece! The effects of supply and demand are truly amazing.

Oh, and regarding those "nuts" who bid more than MSRP for 2000 sets before
they showed up in their local stores... How many people rushed out and
payed full price for them as soon as they could find them, knowing full well
they'd turn up on sale for 20% off within a month or two? Same lunacy,
different price point IMO. :-)

Doug