 Marketplace / Theory / 766
Re: Insane prices.... nothing new
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:27:05 GMT

Your right John!

eBay has played a BIG part in the price reduction, infact... think about it,
6086 on ebay could very well sell for $250 or more a year ago, now though I
doubt you could get half that price. Also I played it easy in this last
Auczilla due to Lego Direct coming out. They are most likely going to have
available besides bricks other pieces like tiles, etc. I spoke to a Lego rep.
and she says Brad is real and takes a conservative stance when speaking of
what LD will have. So I have high hopes and maybe well founded that LD will
change the whole auction market for good. I dont think there will be the days
long ago were people paid high prices for things that could be bought cheaper
elsewhere. The lego rep. stated that he has a lot of authority when it comes
to Lego direct, that basically he is Lego Direct, and that he should be able
to do "Almost" anything he wants to with it. So to me this means no more
spending $1.50 per 1x1 lt gray tiles, etc. and therefor lego auctions wont be
as profitable as they were in the past. of course old sets will always be
worth something, but long gone will be the days of the parts auction.
especially when you will be able to get 2x2 slopes for $.02 instead of $.25
each. Of couse I dont expect the specialty pieces to be available this summer
but maybe by winter or next spring they may be?

Of couse this means something different for everyone, for the parts auction it
spells GET RID OF THE SETS BEFORE THE PIECES ARENT WORTH ANYTHING! and for me
it means that maybe my $20 - 30 thousand dollar project may be done for $2000
or so, and its big! I think we may be seeing the begining of happy days!

p.s. one of the reasons for lego direct bulk sales was it was costing them too
much to do the packs and would be more cost effective for larger orders, also
the market potential which I believe Brad brought to their attention. and the
cancelation of the accessory packs were already being planned a LONG time
before all of this so if anything it is BRAD that may have saved are bricks,
if so I am really grateful. This info is straight from the horses mouth with
their speculation included.

Doyle (crazy for wasting money on baby blocks at his age) :) but he like 'em!