 Marketplace / Theory / 764
763  |  765
Subject:
Insane prices.... nothing new
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:11:42 GMT

(follow-ups directed to lugnet.market.theory)
    I was looking at old RTL auction posts via Dejanews, and at Matt Chiles
past auction realizations on his site, and thought to myself that prices
have dropped quite significantly in the past couple years.  Arbitrage and
eBay seem like good things to me, despite the inconsistencies.
   A sealed Lego Castle (6081 or 6086) sold for $800 in one of Matt Chiles
past auctions, and I don't think we have seen any price like that in the
past year!
   Also, Matt sold an idea book (7777) for $200 a couple years ago, which
Tom Schlosser had to auction twice at half the price to sell it in 1999.
   Abner Finley paid $35 for Idea Book 250 a couple years back, which I have
bought several times over in the past year at less than $10 each.
   I think this shows us a lot.  If a certain item isn't commonly available
at a given time, the price is likely to be what most would call insane, as
long as enough interested bidders are aware that it has become available.
eBay does a good job of letting as many people as possible know something is
currently available, better than any other medium for individuals, ever.  So
I, for one, still like eBay despite the fact I no longer find as many
bargains there.  At least I can find things I want there, and nowhere else,
and depending on my situation, I even have a chance at getting that item I
want.
   Thats all.  Thanks for reading.
--
   Have fun!
   John

"Censorship is yet another tool in the dumbing-down of America
by a power structure that relies on a populace too lazy or ignorant
to think independently." -Vanessa McGrady