 Marketplace / Theory / 397
Re: Yellow Castle: Reasonable price?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 05:43:42 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.castle, Daniel Moquin writes:
..[snip a lot]..
Does anyone know what is a reasonable price for the yellow castle?  See above
if you are unsure what I am asking for.
:-)

Perhaps you should clarify your request as much as you can--
- Why are you looking for a "reasonable price"? Are you looking to buy? To
sell? Or just curious?

Doesn't matter.  It's immaterial to the question.

- Reasonable for who? I might think a reasonable price is $50, someone else
might think it's $500. I think the past auction and sale results are the
best way to go, since this being 'reasonable' is somewhat dependent on who
you ask.

Insufficient results available to me.  If someone knows, great.  If not, oh
well.  If lots of people respond, I have a better idea of what's reasonable.

- What condition are you considering the set to be in? This really only • matters
if you've got a specific set in mind; I.E., you're looking to buy or sell.

See Larry's answer to me question: he gives some information as to the price in
excellent condition with box.  The older the set, the more this comes into
play: I trusted people who are familiar with the set would know to give a range
based on condition.  Box, instructions, condition, completeness, replacements
etc. all have an effect on price.  If the set usually is sold in good but not
perfect condition, without box but with instructions, complete, then that is a
good starting point for price.  But if someone says they bought an unopened one
for X amount, I welcome that, too.

If you're asking what I personally think is 'reasonable' I can only suggest
what I'd pay, or *expect* to pay. Anything else I think I would call
'unreasonable'.

Bingo.  What's so hard about that?  Place whatever qualifiers you want onto it
- I can make an attempt to interpret from there.  Giving an answer of "whatever
I think is reasonable" doesn't help.  I was asking for the opinions of
*others*, not mine.  If I wanted my own opinion, I would have stated it and you
could all have fun laughing at me.  :-)

I'd say depending on the condition of the set, I'd pay between
$100 and $300 for it. But as Larry said, he thinks that with a good condition
box & good condition, complete pieces, it could be worth $400... *I* would
consider $400 for that set unreasonable, but he wouldn't.

Oooooo, great!  See, more info.  I love it.  Larry is jaded - I already figured
that into his answer (OOOOOoooooOOOOooooo, Larry will get me for that <g>).
Debate.  This is great.

However, I think the best answer that anyone can give you is to tell you what
they've seen it sell for in previous auctions and sales. The more information,
the better. If you can see bidding history, that'd help you all the more... • Not
too bloody likely that you can GET bidding history, but every little bit
helps.

I tried to indicate that for the all of one day that I looked at prices, I did
not have enough information to form an informed decision.  Opportunity knocks
sometimes and you don't have the luxury of culling information.

Asking people's opinions can help, but I think only if it gives you a vast
array of responses.

Two, but that's two more than before.

I'd count on actual data from what people have paid
previously more than I'd count people's opinions. But that's mostly reliant on
the fact that people base their opinions on fact *anyway*. I certainly • wouldn't
tell you what I would "expect" to pay or what I think would be "reasonable"
without having some sort of experience in watching classic yellow castles go
for sale...

I figured that people who didn't know wouldn't answer, and those that did,
would.  Saying that you could expect to pay $250 for a Black Sea Barracuda but
YOU wouldn't pay that price is a perfectly fine answer.

Anyway, if you're just asking for people's thoughts on the matter, go for it.
Otherwise, if you're looking to buy or sell, supply a little more info...

DaveE

As to the last part...why does it matter?  No, don't answer!  It's a rhetorical
question.

I don't quite know why this is so difficult to grasp.  Thank you for all the
above.  It's great that people are willing to take the time to respond....but
all I was seeking were current prices.

Again, thanks.

Bruce

   Alright I got a possible suggestion, save a few hundred bucks.  Buy the
important yellow slope bricks from me <g> at a greatly reduced price, download
the instructions, and then recreate the castle from the stock pile of parts you
already have.  There aren't that many unique pieces in this set.  As far as the
knights go, buy some in an auction or use some of the new style.

   (Slightly off topic) I finally  got a BSB in excellent shape w/ half a dozen
smaller sets for $151 on e-bay...