 Marketplace / Theory / 340
Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:17:59 GMT

R2 wrote:

For someone so critical of e-bay sellers, you certainly have no room to
complain and leave neutral feedback. If someone outright lies about what
they are selling (saying something's rare), I have no problem with calling
them on it. I have frequently e-mailed the seller. However, if someone lists
something and does not lie or mislead, leaving feedback telling others where
to get it cheaper is, in my opinion, unethical.

Let's take this up in theory but I feel there is a significant
difference in kind, not just degree, between:

- claiming that something is scarce/rare when in fact it is not, and
selling it for well over what anyone who wants it can get it for. (what
the McD sellers are doing)

- making a planned large purchase of something that is indeed scarce and
then selling it for what the market will bear. (what I am doing)

Neither you with the hopper cars, or the person who is not revealing the
source of any item on e-bay, is doing anything "wrong".

I disagree. The latter person is trying to make the market inefficient.
I am trying to make it more efficient by arbitrage.

However, for you to
complain about them is a bit, in my opinion, wrong.

Let me hasten to point out:  eBay has explicitly said it is a violation
of their TOS, I have appealed it, and been denied. Therefor, for me to
continue to post neutral feedback is wrong *because it violates their
TOS*, even though it would otherwise be morally justifiable. So I have
stopped. Otherwise lawful contracts are sancrosanct.

I will continue to complain about their policy here, and whereever I
can, though.