 Marketplace / Theory / 2028
Re: The meaning of "Complete"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:37:16 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Frank Filz writes:

<sigh> I hate this.  I once saw somebody sell off a Classic Space
collection as parts lots..., sorted by colour!  There were some
great sets in there, but the odds of winning all of the colour lots
without paying through the nose for them were pretty low so I
just steered away from them.  Anyhow for my part most of the sets
I'm interested in are the ones that fetch high prices as sets,
so sellers generally offer them as such.

This cuts both ways. While I share your anguish at seeing rare sets get
parted, the flip side is this: Is it better to sell a somewhat incomplete
set as is, or part it out, recoup your investment and potentially see the
parts complete SEVERAL other incomplete sets in the hands of others?

I do not know.

   My experience is that if the set isn't MISB (or at least
   100% complete), you're far better off parting it out.  I always
   do better--but then again, I rarely get anything more than a few
   years old to part out.

   YMMV.

   LFB