 Marketplace / Theory / 2024
Re: The meaning of "Complete"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:23:29 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Frank Filz writes:
Heather Patey wrote:

What disclaimer would you like to see that would make feel comfortable about
buying a loose set from someone who knows Lego but is human and willing to make
up for any mistakes that might creep in?  What about from someone who

Some things which would probably help:

- specifically list all the rare pieces as being present (and specify
the condition they are in)
- add a disclaimer notice that all sets are complete to the best of your
knowledge, and that you will be happy to supply any pieces inadvertantly
missed, and also offer a money back guarantee
- take pictures of the built set from several angles

I agree with Frank's suggestions for Heather's questions.  These
are the sorts of things that I would put into my listings if I
sold unsealed sets.  (I only sell MISB sets at present, but will
soon be selling unsealed sets as well.  Many of these are the
very same sets that I had won in auctions.)

In the end though, my feeling is don't bother selling sets. I'm not sure
there are ANY sets (except a few very old sets) which sell for more as a
complete set than their component parts do. I have even seen partial
lots from sets go for more than the set goes for (for this reason, I'm
keeping my complete 1682 - sorry, I'm not going to sell it for $30-40
when the red 2x2x5 lattice towers can easily sell for $30 just by

<sigh> I hate this.  I once saw somebody sell off a Classic Space
collection as parts lots..., sorted by colour!  There were some
great sets in there, but the odds of winning all of the colour lots
without paying through the nose for them were pretty low so I
just steered away from them.  Anyhow for my part most of the sets
I'm interested in are the ones that fetch high prices as sets,
so sellers generally offer them as such.

I got my 1682 because I wanted the set, not just the lattice pieces.
I got lucky that I found one listed that was without box but still mint
(the stickers hadn't even been applied).  I was really happy that
the guy didn't part it out.

enough to see what you are getting. I've also got some real good
bargains on sets which were questionable. If I get a set for half its
going rate, it can be missing a LOT of pieces and I'll be happy.

True enough.  I scored 2 great Classic Space sets where the seller
had put them into one "parts lot".  They said pieces would be
missing, but didn't know how many.  But they gave a total piece
count.  Based on that I figured only a handful were missing.  I
won the auction for a very good price.  Not only were the sets
utlimately only missing common pieces, but they were in near-mint
condition!  And the lot even came with the box for one of them.

I don't mind buying incomplete sets, and will happily do so.  I
just get frustrated knowing that most of the "complete" ones I
buy won't be.

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada