 Marketplace / Theory / 2014
Re: The meaning of "Complete"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 06:59:04 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
I'd just like to hear others' thoughts on this.  Are missing
pieces this frequent of an occurrence for you?  How do you
deal with it?  How do you think it happens in the first place?
It'd be cool if both buyers and sellers replied.

Thanx,
KDJ

I bought only one open set. It had a few minor missing parts and one major
missing part (a red Technic chair). That's only if you count just the main
model [1], If you count the alternative model [2] it had a lot of missing
parts, mainly pneumatic tubing. The set also had a terrible smoke smell.
The seller was very nice about it and sent me all the pieces that I reported
missing. Still, I was very unhappy with the entire experience [3] and from
that point on bought only MIB sets.
In this particular case the seller even wrote on the description that he had
built the set to see if everything was there. Obviously he didn't build the
second model and I'm also a little skeptic about the first one. (more likely
that the set was assembled as the first model and looked o.k. in a quick
glance so he just dismantled it and sent it)

Even with that, I once bought a MISB set that arrived pretty beaten up after
international surface shipping and being inspected by costumes. The seals were
broken and one motor was missing (out of three that the box should have had).
The seller [4] sent me a replacement motor so that experience turned out fine,
although to this day I can't think of a reasonable explanation.

I'm not sure how these things happen, Probably they have something to do with
people that handle a lot of LEGO auctions or are not into LEGO building and
don't appericiate the importance of every piece.

- David

p.s. I remember the case you had with the black/gray axle pins and I must say
that this replacement would have been very annoying for me, although
it probably seemed trivial to the seller.

[1] Technic sets have instructions for two models.
[2] Is a "complete" set expected to contain also the pieces for the
alternative model?
[3] I had to go over the instructions of the alternative model and check
exactly what extra pieces were used - a hard task when you deal with a 1000
piece set. I was also left with a bad smelling LEGOs which I hate.
[4] Which is a very respectable member of LUGNET, so I'm sure that no foul
play is involved, and that he at least thought that the set was MIB.