 Marketplace / Theory / 2026
Re: The meaning of "Complete"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:37:42 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, David Arnon writes:

p.s. I remember the case you had with the black/gray axle pins and I must say
that this replacement would have been very annoying for me, although
it probably seemed trivial to the seller.

I guess this was the other angle to my question.  Most people have
commented on missing pieces, but not many on substituted ones.
I get parts subsituted like this all them time, although they are
generally at least the correct colour.  Some examples include:

- modern "racing" minifig helmets instead of early Classic Space
helmets.
- minifig hands of the wrong colour.
- new-style 1x1 plates with "clips" or "eyes" instead of the
(more fragile and thus rare) old-style pieces.
- the list goes on.

Some of these are very subtle, so I just gamble that I'll get
the right things.  I don't expect the majority of the sellers
(on eBay at least) to really know the difference.  But what happens
in the helmet case?  I tell the seller they are not the correct
helments (let's say they all weren't visible in the images).
They could claim the set is still complete, because it has helments,
and that their listing said nothing about "original" pieces.
This is where things get really tedious because I have to
negotiate with sellers for some kind of compensation in each
individual case.

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada