 Marketplace / Theory / 2016
Re: The meaning of "Complete"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:24:44 GMT

Heather Patey wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
[FUT lugnet.market.theory]

G'day folks,

I've been thinking about this for quite a while so I figure
it's probably a good discussion topic.

I've bought many LEGO sets over the past little while, mostly
from eBay.  Probably somewhere handy to $2500-worth.  The mix
of sellers has been wide: some high-volume, some first-timers,
some exclusively sell LEGO, others are more general.

In all of these transactions I am noticing the same thing:  I
very rarely receive a set stated to be "Complete" that actually
is 100% complete and unsubstituted.  To put some rough numbers
to it, about 50-75% of the "Complete" sets I buy are missing
pieces and/or have pieces substituted (ignoring sealed sets).

Sometimes the pieces are obscure in the instructions such
as accessory-type pieces that don't strictly attach to the main
model, or pieces that are just hard to see in the instructions
and don't have a structural impact.  But sometimes I am missing
major structural pieces that make it impossible to build the
model.  And substitutions are predominantly only for colour, but
colour is very important to "Completeness".  As an extreme example
I once bought a set that was supposed to contain 2 pieces in
black, which was *extremely* rare and long out-of-production.
Instead I got 2 grey pieces substituted.  (I didn't know about the
rarity of the black pieces until after I'd bought the set.)

In all of these cases I find 95% of the sellers to be very helpful
and they almost always send the missing pieces (but I do wonder
then where they get them from).  In some cases where the pieces
are very basic and seller is overseas, I usually find my own
replacements and just let the seller know about it---sometimes
we work out a small discount for the next time.  I guess
overall that it's not a huge deal to have pieces missing, but
after dozens of transactions it does get a bit tiresome knowing
that there's only a 1-in-3 chance that something I bought will
be complete when it arrives.

I'd just like to hear others' thoughts on this.  Are missing
pieces this frequent of an occurrence for you?  How do you
deal with it?  How do you think it happens in the first place?
It'd be cool if both buyers and sellers replied.

Hm.  This is an issue for me from the seller's point of view.  I have quite a
few space and town sets picked out of my collection that I'd like to sell, and
indeed I've sold some of them, but I've made a few mistakes: missing pieces,
wrong colours, or damaged pieces.  I consider myself conscientious but mistakes
happen; I wouldn't intentionally substitute without saying so.  In all cases so
far the buyers have been nice and have accepted replacement parts (I don't ask
for the originals back) but I stopped selling loose sets because I fear that
someone will drag my name through the mud for it when I'm trying to do my best.

What disclaimer would you like to see that would make feel comfortable about
buying a loose set from someone who knows Lego but is human and willing to make
up for any mistakes that might creep in?  What about from someone who doesn't
know Lego at all?  Photos of all individual pieces?  Even so you'd have to
verify yourself that all pieces in the set were in the photo.  I'm not upset at
you for wanting your sets complete; just wish there was a way to reach a
compromise.

Some things which would probably help:

- specifically list all the rare pieces as being present (and specify
the condition they are in)
- add a disclaimer notice that all sets are complete to the best of your
knowledge, and that you will be happy to supply any pieces inadvertantly
missed, and also offer a money back guarantee
- take pictures of the built set from several angles

In the end though, my feeling is don't bother selling sets. I'm not sure
there are ANY sets (except a few very old sets) which sell for more as a
complete set than their component parts do. I have even seen partial
lots from sets go for more than the set goes for (for this reason, I'm
keeping my complete 1682 - sorry, I'm not going to sell it for $30-40
when the red 2x2x5 lattice towers can easily sell for $30 just by
themselves - and since I want red lattice towers...[I may actually have
more red ones than black ones now, I think I have 2 or 3 or possibly
more lots which probably came from 1682s, plus a bunch from 4555s]).

On the flip side, I'm starting to pay more attention to "complete" sets.
I will price up a value for the set based on what I'd pay for the parts
I can see are present from the picture.

As a buyer, I figure any open set has a good chance of being missing
some pieces. I must say that I have mostly found sellers consciencious
of listing major pieces which are missing, or take pictures which show
enough to see what you are getting. I've also got some real good
bargains on sets which were questionable. If I get a set for half its
going rate, it can be missing a LOT of pieces and I'll be happy.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com