 Marketplace / Theory / 1990
Re: part pricing theory and practice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 21:30:47 GMT

^^^^^^^^^^
I fear that the pricing pattern seems to be just the opposite of my own.  It
appears to me that the majority of people listing parts today look at the sales
history data and go for the average price or higher.  This trend will push the
averages higher as more and more of these items eventually get sold. A vicious
cycle.?

I don't think so. If the prices gets driven to high (and then also the
number of available parts), somebody are bound to see an opportunety to sell
a lot of parts if they lower their own prices. As a seller myself I try to
get a good price, but it does not help to have high prices if you get stuck
with the parts. And it is not greed that drives me to part up sets and sell
the parts, if I were greedy I would be doing something completely different ;-)

Note:  I also wonder where many of the maximum prices originated but theorize
that those prices were realized in the very first days of Brickbay when supply
was limited and the rush to buy caused buyers to pay {too} much.

Hate to correct you, but those valueswere not calculated and recorded in the
first few months of Brickbay ;-) I know this because when it startet I had
sold some items at much higer price than the displayed maximums price. I
don't quite remember when it started though...

Helge