 Marketplace / Theory / 1985
1984  |  1986
Subject:
part pricing theory and practice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:40:03 GMT

I was thinking about buying some white plates from Brickbay, and came up with this comparison (viewing in a monospaced font is a
good idea):

      Brickbay   Baylit  S@H  #5320
      Lo Avg  Hi
1x1   10  12  17    20     6  x8=48
1x2    8  10  16    15     5  x8=40
1x3    8  12  20    12     5  x4=20
1x4   10  12  20    15     6  x8=48
1x6    9  12  20    20     7  x4=28
1x8   16  18  23    40     8  x4=32
1x10  20  21  25    40    10  x2=20
2x2    7   9  15    10     4  x8=32
2x3    9  11  12    20     5  x4=20
2x4   10  13  15    15     6  x8=48
2x6   13  14  16    20     7  x2=14
2x8   16  20  25    40     8  x2=16
2x10  20  30  40    50    10  x2=20
2x2-L 10  14  15    20     6  x2=12
                              -----
                              =398 (actual price for #5320 is 3.99)

Prices are in US cents, and I threw out used parts on Brickbay (although they would have sometimes skewed the price higher); I
didn't throw out the high and the low, although maybe I should have, and I eyeballed the average.

It sure looks to me like service pack $5320 is a real bargain compared with BrickBay. The average prices are 2x S@H's, so unless I
plan to never use fully half the parts, I'm better off going direct to Lego.

Which brings me to my theory question: What is setting the price on Brickbay?

Inertia? As bulk packs become available, Brickbay prices are slow to come down. White 2x4 plates are available by the hundred for
$6.99, yet the lowest price on Brickbay is well above that.

Greed? Hardly seems likely, since no one is earning their livelihood by parting out Lego. And Baylit's elevated prices are explained
by Jon as limiting the work he has to do, which seems entirely reasonable.

Return on investment? In the Lego world, it's common practice to buy, part out, sell the unneeded bits, and recoup the initial
investment. But if the sets are bought at deep discount, the price per part should seldom exceed 5 cents. I understand marking up
the parts, but there's no way it can pay for the sorting work involved and sufficiently compensate the seller for the time involved.

Demand? Most likely. But it is curious that buyers are willing to value Brickbay Lego, which is sometimes of questionable quality,
as much as parts guaranteed new from S@H.

Value? Maybe Lego enthusiasts actually value parts more than LDI does. How else does one explain why used Lego commands a great a
price as it does?

Thoughts?

Cary