 Marketplace / Theory / 1992
Re: part pricing theory and practice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 22:05:39 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Kevin Salm writes:

<snip>

I fear that the pricing pattern seems to be just the opposite of my own.  It
appears to me that the majority of people listing parts today look at the sales
history data and go for the average price or higher.  This trend will push the
averages higher as more and more of these items eventually get sold. A vicious
cycle.?

Unless we had an aging mechanism, I doubt that there is much choice. I would
love to see a graph of the last 10 sales (price vs qty line graph) for each
item. That would give me a much better feel for trends. But keep in mind that
BrickBay sales seem to be rising at an increasing rate. When I first listed on
BB, there were about 250K items listed, now there are ~1-million. The site is
growing nicely. More recent volume is probably dampening earlier numbers which
had lower sell-thru.

^^^^^^^^^^

Note:  I also wonder where many of the maximum prices originated but theorize
that those prices were realized in the very first days of Brickbay when supply
was limited and the rush to buy caused buyers to pay {too} much.

There was also a period when the Price Guide had a problem with malfunctioning
compare operations. I think it had to do with mistyped data or some such issue.
I noticed oddities, but finally said something to Dan when I noticed the
following...

"Times Sold 4 Low $1.00 Average $0.94 High $0.75"

He looked into it and resolved the problem. Some of the high numbers *may* be
fallout from an old problem (long since fixed).

Ray