 Marketplace / Theory / 1987
Re: part pricing theory and practice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:12:22 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Cary Clark writes:
I was thinking about buying some white plates from Brickbay, and came up
with this comparison

..{snip,snip}..

Which brings me to my theory question: What is setting the price on Brickbay?

For a seller on Brickbay, mechanisms exist that track all previous sales and
provide pricing information.  When listing a specific part of a particular
color, data is available that shows how many times that element has been sold
(not dependent upon quantity, however), what its lowest selling price has been,
the highest price, and the mean average.  Sellers can look at this data and set
their own price using this information.  Here is an example: [1]

     White Plate, 2 x 4 (assuming NEW condition) [2]
     Nubmer of Times Sold     Lowest $     Average $     Highest $
                  74                .02           .13             .30

Using this example, I believe that most sellers tend to look at the average and
highest prices and then would decide on a price of .15 or more.
The thinking would be that with 74 sales, demand is good for this item, so a
price near or above average makes good {business} sense.  Buyers seem to be
paying that price, so why not go for the most one can get?

Since Brickbay has an excellent search feature, a search for a particular
element can be done to see what the current supply is.  By checking to see how
many sellers have it for sale and their asking prices, actual demand can be
somewhat crudely determined.  What I mean is that if numerous people have the
part and they all have high asking prices, is this why so much is available?

Look at this search result -->
http://www.brickbay.com/search.asp?t=72&c=5&i=3788&p=y

11 people have this item for sale at a price hovering around .15  with one
seller asking 50 cents. 15 cents is the Brickbay average with 25 cents as the
maximum, it has been sold 33 times.

The 2x4 Red mudguard is a part that I figure is in everybody's collection and
most of us have more than we can use.  If I were to list this piece for sale
today with intent of selling it fast, I would price it around .05 and hope they
sell.  I consider it a piece that does not sell at any price (there are other
pieces that would have made even better examples).

^^^^^^^^^^
I fear that the pricing pattern seems to be just the opposite of my own.  It
appears to me that the majority of people listing parts today look at the sales
history data and go for the average price or higher.  This trend will push the
averages higher as more and more of these items eventually get sold. A vicious
cycle.?

Note:  I also wonder where many of the maximum prices originated but theorize
that those prices were realized in the very first days of Brickbay when supply
was limited and the rush to buy caused buyers to pay {too} much.

__Kevin Salm__