 Marketplace / Theory / 1994
Re: part pricing theory and practice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:42:39 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Ray Sanders writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Kevin Salm writes:

<snip>

I fear that the pricing pattern seems to be just the opposite of my own.  It
appears to me that the majority of people listing parts today look at the >>sales
history data and go for the average price or higher.  This trend will push >>the
averages higher as more and more of these items eventually get sold. A >>vicious
cycle.?

Unless we had an aging mechanism, I doubt that there is much choice. I would
love to see a graph of the last 10 sales (price vs qty line graph) for each
item. That would give me a much better feel for trends. But keep in mind that
BrickBay sales seem to be rising at an increasing rate. When I first listed on
BB, there were about 250K items listed, now there are ~1-million. The site is
growing nicely. More recent volume is probably dampening earlier numbers which
had lower sell-thru.

Another Price Guide note:
The average it shows is irrespective of the quantity sold.
If part 1234 sells in quantity 100  at $1.
and
then sells again in quantity 1 at $0.02
The price guide will show
Times sold 2    Low $0.02  Average $0.51  High $1.00

Q1: Which sale is more demonstrative of demand for the part?
Q2: Where should you price?  :-)
(Answers below)

-Jon

A1: Neither, since 1 sale can't truly represent demand which changes with time
A2: Wherever you want, since the price guide has this little flaw.  AND you
have to consider _supply_ which the price guide doesn't tell you anything
about. You'll need to go determine if others are selling the part currently,
and what prices they have it listed at, AND in what condition they are.
Have fun.
But, if there are no current items for sale, I'd choose the $1... or more.
Since you know the demand was there once for $1 each.
Is this ripping off the buyer?
Hardly, if they don't want it they don't have to buy it.  I then either find
a buyer who will pay that price or lower the price.  Free market at work.