 Marketplace / Theory / 1808
Re: Can ebay feedback get worse than this:
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 00:11:25 GMT

Paul Sinasohn wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Sellers with thousands of positive feedbacks supposedly have so much to lose
for getting one or two negatives in lost reputation that they pay up. Even
if they leave neg feedback in return, 45 chars isn't much to tell a story,
you can't post links easily to more detail on your side of the story, and
one neg against a throwaway ID with 4 positive isn't much of a deterrent
compared to the damage of one neg to a ID with 4000 positive and 0 neg.

I'm not sure I agree with this. If I were to look at the details behind someone
wiht that level of feedback (and I probably wouldn't), to see only 1 out of
4000 would tell me that one person didn't like the seller. Big deal.

I could come up with one person who doesn't like me without moving more than 5
feet from my cube at the office (She's a sorority girl-type marketing droid
across the passageway).

Now if there were 400 neg against 4400 positive, I'd be a little more
concerned....

But really, how many buyers take the time to look at the feedback details
BEFORE bidding?? not enough, surely....

I certainly take the time to look at the feedbacks. I try and look at
all the negatives, but if they have 1000+, it's hard, but then of course
1 or 2 negatives per 1000 is meaningless.

The question is how many folks look past the summary. I've certainly
seen many auctions which say "no bidders with any negative feedbacks".
So once you lose your "virginity", no more dealing with such folks.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com