 Marketplace / Theory / 1792
Re: Great town buildings available as part of Shell Promo sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.promo, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 17:38:09 GMT

In lugnet.town, Mike Walsh writes:

"Christopher J. Dean" <chdean@deloitte.com> wrote in message

This site is great if you like being ripped off.  Here is a little price
comparison I did:

Set       Shell     Vault     Mark-up
#1254     11.99     45.00     275%
#1255     11.95     45.00     277%
#1256     19.95     55.00     176%

It's also great if you want stuff, still MIB, that you're never going to
find anywhere else. And he has a LOT of that kind of stuff, and has for
years. Matt hasn't repriced these items to match current availability.

OK, but is that bad? Maybe 5 years from now when everyone else has parted
all theirs out because they were so widely available, some newbie promo
completist is going to be awfully happy Matt didn't dump these at a loss today.

I think this is a bit harsh.  Matt Chiles has been offering difficult to
find sets via The Vault for a long time (longer than I have been around).
Most likely Matt obtained those sets from European sources last year when
they were not available in the US.  At this point, those sets are only
available in Southern California, I doubt if you will find them in NYC or NJ
(you will find the other Shell sets as I found 2535-2544 at a Shell Station
not too far from Newark Airport).

It does cost money and time to track stuff down, get it back to the US AND
also take the risk that no one will buy it or worse, a cheaper source will
be found.  In this case it looks like Matt's sets are not priced
competitively.  If you don't like his prices, don't buy his stuff.  Labeling
his site a "rip-off" is a bit much (IMHO).

Well said, Mike.

Or did you, Chris, expect everyone to always do everything on a favor basis?
In that case, can you do me a favor, I have some consulting work I need
done, can you come by and do it for me at say, 8 an hour, instead of normal
Deloitte and Touche rates? I'll cover your expenses.

The workman is worthy of his wages. Or something like that. It says that in
some book I read the other day. :-)

FUT market.theory

++Lar