 Town / 1845
Re: Great town buildings available as part of Shell Promo sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.promo
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:24:43 GMT

"Christopher J. Dean" <chdean@deloitte.com> wrote in message
news:G4y3vt.IMI@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.town, Chuck Rex writes:
In lugnet.town, Matthew Ferguson writes:
Anyone have scans of these?  The only sets I have seen in California
(Riverside area) is the 6 vehicles.

You can buy them here: http://www.insidethevault.com/default.htm

This site is great if you like being ripped off.  Here is a little price
comparison I did:

Set       Shell     Vault     Mark-up
#1254     11.99     45.00     275%
#1255     11.95     45.00     277%
#1256     19.95     55.00     176%

I'm going to see if some Shell stations in Jersey have these sets, or any • of
the bigger sets.  Has anyone in the NYC metro area seen any of the sets? • If
I do find some of the sets, I am willing to pick up a few for others.  All • I
ask for is the selling price, tax, and shipping costs.  Unlike some people
in the lugnet community, I not out to make a ridiculous profit.  If I • don't
find the sets, is there anyone out there willing to offer the same service
for a fellow lego collector?

I think this is a bit harsh.  Matt Chiles has been offering difficult to
find sets via The Vault for a long time (longer than I have been around).
Most likely Matt obtained those sets from European sources last year when
they were not available in the US.  At this point, those sets are only
available in Southern California, I doubt if you will find them in NYC or NJ
(you will find the other Shell sets as I found 2535-2544 at a Shell Station
not too far from Newark Airport).

It does cost money and time to track stuff down, get it back to the US AND
also take the risk that no one will buy it or worse, a cheaper source will
be found.  In this case it looks like Matt's sets are not priced
competitively.  If you don't like his prices, don't buy his stuff.  Labeling
his site a "rip-off" is a bit much (IMHO).

My $0.02 - YMMV.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com