 Marketplace / Theory / 1701
Re: eBay Craziness
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:37:07 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Roy Wood writes:
While we're discussing eBay, can someone explain to me why it is that
people are willing to pay retail or more (not even taking into account
shipping!) for Lego items that are currently available in-stores or even
on-line?  I just don't get it.  Are they just clueless, or caught up in
the "excitement" of the whole auction thing?

Any thoughts?

Perennial topic. Your guesses are indeed the accepted wisdom as to why, at
that level of analysis.

I used to try to do something about it, but I gave up. People don't know
what's available, and sellers take advantage of it. If they're too lazy to
check, you can argue its their own fault, I guess. Caveat Emptor.

Heck, it happened to me once.

But I don't like sellers that do it, and I try not to do (further?) business
with them if I can help it. I fully disclose the source of all my items in
my listings. For example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=501974215

Any buyer who reads all the way to the end of the listing will learn where I
got that set. Yes, I am selling it for substantially (80% or so is where
they have ended up) more than I paid for it, but then, I actually have a
rare set that I went to some trouble/expense to obtain.

++Lar