 Marketplace / Theory / 1403
Re: Credit Card Number storage - Good or Bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 13:52:06 GMT

Hi Scott S.

Well, I am using a shopping cart program called Miva Merchant, and the
credit card processing is through
http://www.verisign.com/payment/
I don't know if you are familiar with them or not. I am pretty happy with
both of them. Real easy to use, set up, and the like. And at a reasonable
price per month. One nice thing about being an e-commerce site is the
ability to keep costs down  in terms of having a store, etc. The biggest
cost so far has been inventory.

MIVA Merchant is excellent shopping cart and more stable & secure credit card
processing.  My business is BRICK Direct www.brickdirect.com and use full MIVA
Merchant program.  It really very friendly and easy.  I believe that you
use "InventoryTrk module" to keep inventory tracking and would not sold over
what you has in hand.

I am finding out more information in regards to the exact process, so I know
for sure. I am pretty sure how it works, but it pays to know the absolutes.
I would never trust anything unless I did it, so I ran through several of
mine already for testing, with no problems. It will be interesting seeing
0.68 orders on my Credit cards! : )

You should test yourself and get more feel comfortable yourself.  I did test
myself and now I understand how credit card processing work.  I am very
comfortable with my shopping cart and never has any single problem with credit
card.

Note that international folks won't agree, at least not until X/Paypal • make it
to them (when is that, anyway... sigh)

I has several customer from outside of USA.  It pretty well work with
international customer.

It would be nice. That is one of the reasons for the credit card processing,
so they can use that for right now. One of the nice things about the credit
card processing is the automatic real time inventory control. When someone
orders 100 Jar Jars, it will update the inventory automatically as soon as
the credit card clears. The inventory listed for Jar Jars will then be
reduced by 100. It lists the inventory too, for each part. It was one of my
requirements of the shopping cart.

I agree with you,  I am very comfortable with my "InventoryTrk" only sell what
I had on my hand and worry-free to face the problem when customer order too
much and has to credit back to customer.  It will be headache work.
InventoryTrk make my mind peace.

I am still getting the international shipping figured out, but I am trying
to keep it as low as possible.

International shipping got little pain to build and work headache.  Good
module is "Country Destination Shipping" module.  You can buy at
www.starbase21.com  It good program, but bad things you have entry price for
base, rate per weight, handling on every country.  Every country has different
price.  I got price charts from US Post Office that provide information with
start price for base and add price per weight.  It pretty work.  I setup price
for Netherlands and customer buy it and it work, not always exact price but
probably .50 cent to $1.00 more than actually.  "USPS Shipping" module, is
BEST program for shipping. Program will connect to USPS's websites for price
and also has option to add insurance or not.  I like this so much, but bad
advantage, this only for domestic.  I ask develope to make add for
international that will be excellent work and calucator actually price and I
don't have entry price on every country.

Good luck, we need more parts sellers! Bricksmiths will keep you busy if • you
let them...

Thank you sir! I hope to be of service to many! : ) I am looking at several
options since I am starting a "actual" registered business, and seeing if I
can get the prices down even more. My main goal is to replace my second job
with this, and carry just about every part LEGO is making right now. I
stopped buying around 60,000 parts as of now, and if things go well, I will
get a lot more! Ah, the thrill of starting a LEGO parts-selling business!
: ) Maybe I will have some time to build on my own collection again. It has
been a long eight months, but I think it will be worth it to everyone here
and myself. I have had lots of fun getting here. Thanks for the input!

Wish Good Luck and see your website got successful.  My websites got
successful and faster growing visitor.  I am work on my websites to change
look & feel websites to give customer more comfortable on shopping.  Hope we
can more talk and discuss on our goal successful.  Your store seem like focus
on part elements.  My store are focus on discountined products.  You are same
my goal, not replace my second, but this is my second job and help to earn
extra income for payment down on buy house in fall.  Looking forward talk more
with you.

Christopher Layton
Owner & Operator
BRICK Direct