 Marketplace / Theory / 1298
Re: High Starting Price, or High Reserve - Which is Best? (was Re: Bulk Listings On Ebay)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 21:11:15 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.market.theory, Scott Arthur writes:

I think that the lack of bids on some items was more directly related to the
fact that I set high opening bids on the lots in this batch.  But then I'd
rather not sell them then get a ridiculously low price for them, which
happened to several lots in my previous batch which all had an opening bid
set at $1.

Has any one any thought on what works best between:
1. Starting auction at $0.01 but placing a higher resrve.
2. Or starting the same lot at the high resreve.

Just wondering

From my experience at Ebay,I have followed one piece of advice they offer,I
usually start my auction at the lowest reasonable price I am willing to
accept.I have sold nearly everything I posted the 1st time and if not I lower
the bid and it usually goes.I never use a reserve and rarely bid them.

I tend to construct my auctions in a way that makes sure that the value • exceeds
$8 ( As below that it is just not worth the hassle.) - but still start the
auction at $0.01 / NR.

Scott A