 Marketplace / Theory / 1284
Re: Bulk Listings On Ebay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:27:57 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Hi,

Jeff Hudson wrote:

In lugnet.market.theory, John Hadd writes:
Has anybody noticed that the sellers who use the bulk upload seem to get • lower
prices on their auctions? As a sniper, I find it impossible to bid on 25, • 50,or
100 auctions all ending within a minute or two. One set of auctions just • ended
tonight had many giveaway prices and the one I watched last night seemed to
realize very low prices on many items. Why anyone would use the bulk upload • on
many items doen't make sense to me. I would maybe load them 10 at a time or
something, but a big bunch seems to drive away bidders. IMHO

From a non-sniper bidder standpoint, I like these kinds of auctions.  If I • know
I'm not going to be near my computer when the auction ends, I'm more likely • to
bid on this type of auction.  Reason being I know that one person can't • snipe
all the auctions, so the odds that my bid will win are increased.

Likewise--I usually put mine up in groups of 15-25.  All are different items, • and
only rarely do they attract people who want a broad spectrum of items.  I • haven't
noticed a serious price diferential between putting up six and putting up 35; • and
in fact one of the same lot sizes that went up in the former went up in the • latter
and netted twelve times the first auction's amount.  I'd say that unless you • are
putting a serious dent in the day's ending auctions, you're not going to • affect
overall price or bidding.

That last item, total volume of your auctions / total volume of auctions • ending
that day, might have more of an effect.  For example, if 250 LEGO auctions end • on a
given day, and 140 of them are yours, you may get an algebraically (not
arithmetically) lower number of bids/lower cap on bids as people reach their • own
spending limits or the limits of the number of auctions they can watch (what • the
original poster mentioned above).  But if you put up a LEGO pitchfork, I can • almost
guarantee you it'll go for the same forty bucks whether it's one of 5 or one • of
500--that is, if it's the only pitchfork up for auction.
Does it defeat the purpose to put up groups of 100-200 auctions at a time?
Maybe,
but I can't imagine it being too significant (other than discouraging snipers,
which does not necessarily keep prices down--more people are just as liable to
place bids earlier, and the snipers will choose their preferred targets and
drive
them that much higher).There are more than enough snipers for a few extra LEGO
lots.  Or are you saying that *boredom* drives sniping behaviour?  ;)
Sorry, 5.45am stream-of-consciousness drivel.  Time for bed!  zzzz~ :)
best Lindsay

Lindsay, This is the other point I'm trying to figure out. As a seller you
don't seem to see a marked difference in price on the common items? I realize
the auction process is quite variable, amount of bidders, amount of sellers,
day of the week etc... It's just that when the bulk uploads come by, especially
when they are on more than one page it gets very difficult to place very many
last minute bids. Bored? Who, ME :) My motivation is purely deal driven. My
point is simple,as a last minute bidder I find it very hard to bid these
auctions. Maybe I need more practice!!!