 Marketplace / Theory / 114
Re: Fool's Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:15:07 GMT

Janet Zorn <lighthouse@bonzai.net> wrote:
Flame if you want. But an helpful answer might convert me to your
opinion.

Why do sellers on Ebay care if there is sniping?

I understand why bidders hate it. I understand that the Ebay rules are
not the best ones.

But if you are going to sell an item on Ebay knowing what the rules
are, why do you want to discourage sniping?

Well, I didn't bother to do the math in Chris's post, so I can only
assume that it discourages sniping.  Can't really comment on it,
though.

As a seller, why would I not like sniping?

Hrmmm, probably lots of little reasons, some of which may not have
much to do with maximizing my profit.

I'd rather see someone who had successfully defended his high bid a
few times get the item than some loser who dropped in at the last
second.  Personally.  At that point, money-wise, the difference is
insignificant, since the sniper only has to pay a tiny bit more.

If eBay made the auctions automatically extend themselves by a day, or
4 hours, or 12 hours, I might end up making more money.  The snipee,
given a chance, may redefend the bid.

Dunno, I guess I just don't like people who look, to me, like
cheaters, winning the game.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide