 Marketplace / Theory / 109
108  |  110
Subject:
Fool's Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 02:20:30 GMT

Alright.

I know that lots of people have super-strong opinions about this
issue.

The question I'm about to ask is not a challenge. I honestly don't
know the answer.

Flame if you want. But an helpful answer might convert me to your
opinion.

Why do sellers on Ebay care if there is sniping?

I understand why bidders hate it. I understand that the Ebay rules are
not the best ones.

But if you are going to sell an item on Ebay knowing what the rules
are, why do you want to discourage sniping?

I think that Chris Weeks has a clever way of discouraging sniping. But
isn't he reducing his return substantially by going out of his way to
discourage sniping? Under his system (described elsewhere in this
group) a first day bidder with a WTP of $100 can bid $121 but if that
bidder wins Chris will only get from him $100 minus his costs. A
bidder seeing the auction on the last day with a WTP of $120 will not
bid, and Chris will lose about $20 in the process. Why???

As someone with more interest than buying than selling, I'm hip to the
problems in Ebay's rules. But I'm trying to see why those rules are as
bad for the sellers.

David Zorn