 Marketplace / Shopping / 902
Re: KBKids.com and Outback Airstrip Fun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:52:20 GMT

Ben,

One thing that might be happening here: sometimes companies use big
mega-warehouses as shippers. Warehouses that they do not own, nor do
they own the stock within. The computer/hardware/software business has a
few of these. Go to www.sparco.com. Sparco has no stock to speak of, but
when you look at inventory, its actually in someones elses warehouse.
Perhaps this way of doing business has migrated to the toy industry.

I did get the OAs that I ordered from kbkids.com. I thought it odd that
each individual unit (within the same shipping box) had a sticker
plastered across the front of the OA box. After reading your msg, this
makes more sense.

A little sluthing in yahoo.com indicates that 5022 Hollins Rd Roanoke VA
(the return address on the package) is someone called 'Hanover Direct'
(http://www.hanoverdirect.com/). I suspect that is a fulfillment house
for kbkids.com. Did the inside invoice also have this as a return
address ?

Following this lead, looking up Hannover Direct shows a list of 11
subsidiaries, one of them being 'Improvements Catalog'. And sure enough,
poking around the press releases on Hanover Direct's site yields this
one: "Keystone Fulfillment, Subsidiary of Hanover Direct, Secures
E-Commerce Fulfillment Partnership With Kbkids.com" <http://www.hanoverdirect.com/press/7-21-99.htm>.

The problems are with with Hanover Direct's Keystone Fulfillment
software system, I guess.

Ray

Ben Roller wrote:

Well, I got my Outback Airstrip from KBKids.com today.  No, wait,
that's not a...what the heck, "DRIP-IT Handy Funnel"?

The Package:
        The outside packaging had my name and address and said that it
was from KBKIDS, but the invoice inside the package had someone else's
name, in another town, in another state and said that it was from a
company called "Improvements".  The address for Improvements and
KBKids is exactly the same, but the KBKids.com telephone rep.
(1-877-4KBKIDS) said that she had never heard of the company and the
Improvements telephone rep. said that she had never heard of
KBKids.com before but that they had several companies that they worked
with and that may be a new one.

The KBKids.com conversation:
        First, the KB rep. said that my order didn't go through
because my CC was declined on 10/6.  I was using the $10.00 cupon, so
apparently the total of $4.31 broke my checking account...don't think
so. On a side note,  I just called my bank and was informed that in
fact my card was not declined around that time (no charges at all).
So anyway, the rep. tried to reorder the set to see if it worked this
time, but I told her about the shortage as she looked to see that in
fact they have a negative inventory of the Outback Airstrips.  So, if
you have one, I think you're supposed to send it in. :)  She said that
my $10 off can be redeemed at any KB toystore just by having them call
KBKids. (cool, now to go see if they have any airstrips!)

The Improvements conversation:
        Just for kicks, I called the number on the invoice.  Boy was
that a fun conversation.  I started by saying very cheerfully, "Hi.
Today I received an order from your company, but there is just a
slight problem.  I didn't place an order and in fact have never even
heard of your company."  She took the order number, my name, etc. and
when she got to my address, she laughed and said "that was supposed to
go to Texas!".  The invoice said Georgia, but hey, close enough (she'd
misunderstood a digit when I read off the number, so that was just a
fun mistake).  They're sending me a UPS label so that I can send it
back to them and not have any more trouble...gee thanks.

So what I want to know:
        1.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that if a
company sends you product that you didn't ask for, you don't have to
pay for it and are allowed to keep it? Does that count for shipping
mistakes when you're not on the invoice but on the package?  Does it
count for UPS?   Do I HAVE to send it back to Improvements or can I
just keep it.  Heck, I don't want it, but it seemed like something my
mom might like and I'll see her in 3 days.

        2.  Did anyone else get the wrong thing from KBKids?  My
roommate got the wrong Lego set (lucky boy) and they told him to keep
it while they send the right one.  Someone already said that they got
some Star Trek dolls.  Anyone else?

Ben Rolller