 Marketplace / Shopping / 8899
  K-Mart files for bankruptcy

Hey, I guess we saw this coming, and it is no suprise to anyone. Any thoughts on what this might do for us AFOL's? David (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping) !

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) No more clearance toilet paper.....(I found Charmin 24 roll packs on clearance at Big Kmart a few months ago for $2.99....I had never previously heard of clearance toilet paper). Squeezably & softly, Jonathan (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) No change at all. Despite what management claims about engineering a turn-around, Kmart is in deep trouble. On the surface they have dirty, poorly stocked stores with employees who don't have a clue. I have yet to walk into a Kmart where I did (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) It may have subtle effect, tho more so at K-Marts competitors than at K-Mart itself. Something I've noticed of recent is a habit of some WalMarts to spring a '50% off all clearance toys' sale. They do this at unpredictable times and then end (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) Maybe because what you wanted was a "Swiffer?" ;^D <GDR) ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head -- Mark's Lego Creations (URL) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) No, even if K-Mart executives are upbeat, the rats are already deserting the ship. Normally, if there's a real chance of turning it around, the suppliers will continue making deliveries; but K-Mart's suppliers have begun to stop the chain (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) It could slow down my LEGO buying (which might be a good thing). I do a lot of buying on BOGO (not worth waiting for clearance around here, by the time there's a 50% discount at Target there is often almost nothing left, this year I may have (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

That's funny. My wife and I were calling it a "Swifter" before we got one. Then we got one at Target and we were surprised that the actual name was Swiffer. So as I was typing up that Kmart rant, I was thinking "Swiffer not Swifter". And, of course, (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) What is sad is that you could be describing to a t ("Swifter" notwithstanding!) any of several Kmart stores in northern California. It surprises me that they have managed to stay in business as long as they have. (...) Ditto here too. Their (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) None here. Kmart in Aus is separately owned 8?) To be fair, they've only filed for bankruptcy protection, but it doesn't look they're in good shape. ROSCO (22 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

K-Mart's bankruptcy will result in the closing of some 300-500 stores as K-Mart uses the chapter 11 process to get out of leases for unprofitable store (and for those stores that have below market lease rates and are also unprofitable sell the (...) (22 years ago, 23-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) K-Mart (...) for (...) slow (...) up (...) In the fall of 2000 K-mart closed a bunch of stores, 3 near-ish to me, I was able to get a good stash for 50%, not so much at deeper discounts - maybe because of me, shoulda waited longer ;) My local (...) (22 years ago, 23-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) speaking of this did anyone see the 'Josie and the Pussycats' movie from last year. It was wierd how they integrated a target inspired/styled ad into part of the movie. -c fut--> lugnet.off-topic.fun and eventually debate. i know it's going to (...) (22 years ago, 23-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) All the Kmarts I've been in lately have the price scanners in the aisles... It's a good thing, too, 'cause their LEGO section is always a mess. Self checkout is great, because most people would rather stand in line, so I can be in and out very (...) (22 years ago, 23-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) Hee-hee! Self checkout just got installed locally...I simply HAD to try it out, so I bought two candy bars to play with the machines...what garbage! it's almost as bad a POS system as the Arco pay on the island cash machines. The funny thing (...) (22 years ago, 23-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) clean,but (...) in (...) I did *NOT* like the self check out machines. It seemed like a good idea until I actually used one. They have some sort of sensors in them that check to see if you put the item you scanned into the bag, which is fine (...) (22 years ago, 23-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) When the movie _Rain Man_ was on TV lately (one of the cable channels like TNT, I think), one of the sponsors running ads was Kmart! Go figure. --Bill. FUT: off-topic.fun (22 years ago, 23-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) Any publicity is good publicity? Matt (22 years ago, 23-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

"Maggie Cambron" <mcambron@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:GqD58H.Btn@lugnet.com... (...) When used correctly, employee empowerment is a wonderful tool. (22 years ago, 23-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

There was an interesting quote from an analyst written up in the the 1/23/02 Philadelphia Inquirer. "If Kmart went away tomorrow, the only people who would care are existing Kmart shoppers who don't have access to a Target or Walmart." Put me the (...) (22 years ago, 23-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy

(...) You know, I think I'd second that. I used to get an eerie feeling anytime I went into a K-Mart. Then a friend, who works at a local hospital, filled me in; the hospital sends rehabilitating mental patients there to work. Armed with that (...) (22 years ago, 24-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)