 Marketplace / Shopping / 8904
Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:50:47 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Ray Sanders writes:
My concern is that this will cast a palor over K-Mart in general. Many people do
not understand that Chapter 11 bankruptcy is reorganization, not the same as
Chapter 7 liquidation. K-Mart can still compete with WalMart, but they have much
leg work to do first. K-Mart's idea (a few years back) that they could use a
standard sized K-Mart to compete in the food market with a WalMart Super-Center
was ill conceived. They did not have the necessary floor space to do that
correctly. Now they have settled for a cut back selection of groceries, which
(assuming that the payments to the supplier resume) might still give them the
necessary traffic.

   No, even if K-Mart executives are upbeat, the rats are already
   deserting the ship.  Normally, if there's a real chance of turning
   it around, the suppliers will continue making deliveries; but K-Mart's
   suppliers have begun to stop the chain because they don't think their
   credit is any good.  That's really and truly mega-bad.  Very much so.
   If this were happening with suppliers in other areas too, it would be
   all over--and it may in fact be happening with them, but there's
   enough in the warehouse that they can operate on a cash-and-carry
   basis for some time.

   I don't see any great bargains coming out of this.

   best

   LFB