 Marketplace / Shopping / 8906
Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 23:29:05 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Bryan Kinkel writes:

On the surface they have dirty, poorly stocked stores with employees who
don't have a clue. I have yet to walk into a Kmart where I did not think
"disgusting." And I have yet to go into a Kmart and walk out with 100% of
the items I needed. (One day I wanted a "Swifter" mop. No dice...)  If they
would just clean up their stores, it would be a huge step forward. Kmart in
Devon, PA is the worst. It always looks like a bomb went off in there.

What is sad is that you could be describing to a t ("Swifter" notwithstanding!)
any of several Kmart stores in northern California.  It surprises me that they
have managed to stay in business as long as they have.

Target, on the other hand, is wonderful. Bright, clean, caring staff, etc.
And Target knows inventory management. If the product does not sell, they
slash prices, move it out and make room for a better product. (see clearance
isle, 75% off Jack Stone!). Target also knows how to advertise. Not that
advertising is important to me, but it seems to have done a lot for their
image and floor traffic. I will take a Target over Kmart & Wal-Mart anyday.

Ditto here too.  Their advertising is superb, both on tv (visually interesting
with catchy music and people like Ian Somerhalder) and in the stores-- clever
displays of the household items they sell, like the guy with the electric
guitar jumping over a roll of toilet paper or the Austin mini Cooper full of
paper towels.  (CMIIAW on details here, but you hafta admit that's pretty good
advertising if it gets me to effortlessly remember even this much!)

The other thing I like about Target is that they let their employees make
decisions to keep the lines going.  At Kmart OTOH, if anything out of the
ordinary happens, you're stuck in line for fifteen minutes while the clerk
confers with three different managers.

Maggie C.