 Marketplace / Shopping / 8902
Re: K-Mart files for bankruptcy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:55:59 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, David Wertz writes:
Hey,
I guess we saw this coming, and it is no suprise to anyone.  Any thoughts on
what this might do for us AFOL's?
David

It may have subtle effect, tho more so at K-Marts competitors than at K-Mart
itself. Something I've noticed of recent is a habit of some WalMarts to spring a
'50% off all clearance toys' sale. They do this at unpredictable times and then
end it after several hours. I actually saw this once, and have heard first hand
accounts of it in several other stores, so my initial impression of some manager
improvising may have been wrong. Sounds a bit like a 'blue light special',
doesn't it.

My concern is that this will cast a palor over K-Mart in general. Many people do
not understand that Chapter 11 bankruptcy is reorganization, not the same as
Chapter 7 liquidation. K-Mart can still compete with WalMart, but they have much
leg work to do first. K-Mart's idea (a few years back) that they could use a
standard sized K-Mart to compete in the food market with a WalMart Super-Center
was ill conceived. They did not have the necessary floor space to do that
correctly. Now they have settled for a cut back selection of groceries, which
(assuming that the payments to the supplier resume) might still give them the
necessary traffic.

Ray