 Marketplace / Shopping / 791
Re: WalMart prices... (FOTW part II)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 04:02:10 GMT

Ray Sanders wrote:

Timothy Carl Buchheim wrote:

The stores near me must pick and choose which clearance prices to use.
One store has 5988 Pharoh's Forbidden Ruins at 50% clearance, but has
8269 Cyber Stinger at full price, while the other nearby Wal-Mart has
8269 at 50% off and 5988 at full price.  I've learned to check all of
the local Wal-Marts when looking for LEGO on clearance because the sets
they have on clearance almost never match.

The Wal-Marts near me seems to discount sets 25-30% for a few weeks, and
if they don't sell, they knock them down to 50% off until they sell.  I
guess I'm lucky. :)

Again this morning I had to go into WM for something. So I found the
Toy dept lady and asked a few questions. It seems that there are several
factors involved: First, she can only mark something down a minimal
percentage on the first go-round (I think she said 20% or so). Then
(assuming it has not moved for some number of days, e.g. 30), she
*might* be able to go a little lower. Second, she gets allocated an
amount of 'clearance dollars' for the entire department. She goes around
and determines what has been around the longest or seems to be moving
the slowest and decides where to do her mark downs. So it seems that she
is constrained by how much WM is willing to 'give up' in retail profit
on a dept basis.

All of these factors are probably globally controlled by the market
dynamics of the store's location. This particular store (a WM
SuperCenter) is about 35 miles distant from the next nearest competitor.
To rephrase, they own the market for about 15 miles in one direction
(east) and close to 40 miles in all other directions. So they have a low
incentive to fiddle down the prices. ...

   This is definitely the case.  I posted a while back about Planetary Prowler
(6919) at $10.50 and Celestial Stinger (6969) at $12.50, and I'd bought four
of the former thinking that an incredible deal, but on Thursday I returned to
the same Wal-Mart only to find both sets on final clearance at $5 each.  Of
course, I bought all 5 6919s and 3 6969s!  They also have 5988 at $33; there
are a few Daredevil Flight Squads and Robot's Revenge (CyberMaster) for $6.50
as well floating around still.  If you can make it to Edison Township, NJ, it
might be worth your while, a singlularly badly-organized toy section means
lots of discontinued sets hidden among the overstock.

   LFB.