 Marketplace / Shopping / 7019
Re: Question about open sets at Toys R Us
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 03:28:09 GMT

I had the same experience at Wal-Mart.  There was a Millenium Falcon that
was totally ripped into.  The front of the box had a tear half way up it in
the middle and many of the polybags were obviously open.  I talked to a
manager about it and "10% is all we can do" was his response.  My response
was "10%!!! It is obviously missing many parts."  His response was "Well
then, buy one that isn't ripped up."  I figure if it sits there long enough,
one of the manager's kids gets a new toy.

I have had luck at smaller stores, but it really just seems to depend on the
manager.  If the person you talk to isn't willing to budge, check back in a
day or two or at another time of the day and try for a different manager.
Also, I have had better luck with female managers.  They seem to be more
understanding of the fact that you shouldn't have to pay full price for
something missing parts.  One more thing, it doesn't hurt to point out that
they will probably never sell it in that condition and that at least you are
willing to pay something.

Bryan

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message
In lugnet.market.shopping, Bradley Dale writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Michael Brenner writes:
I came across an open UCS Tie at TRU tonight. It was open on one side • and I
was going to ask for a discount. I have never done that in the past but • the
set could be missing parts. How receptive would a TRU manager be to the • idea
of giving a break on a high price item?

If anyone has done this how did it go for you?

Thanks in advance for any response.

I found an opened Spider Slayer at TRU which scanned as $20
(Canadian dollars), which I figure is over 70% off.  Since the motor was • still
there, I figured nobody had stolen anything from it.  I was right.

   Let's see, this one was in western Windsor, ON?  I found one 3038
   there, opened, for Can$20--opted against it in the end when the
   Canadian system couldn't handle my MasterCard (!?!?--only country
   I've ever had it fail to work with).  I wouldn't be surprised if
   it's still there.

If you're asking for a discount, start high and let them work their way • down.

"Hey, this LEGO box is open and probably missing most of its pieces..... • can I
have it for free?"

Okay, maybe that won't work.  You'd better send a friend or relative in • to try
it for you, and if they don't come back with it go in yourself and try a
different method.  Of course, I asked Pharma Plus for a discount on • <set:8510
Lava> because it was old and unpopular (and I only needed one part from • each
set), but all I was offered was 10% off.  :(

   Same here.  All I've EVER been offered from TRU was 10% off--even
   for an Imperial Outpost that was missing half its polybags and
   the baseplate.  A lot of retailers cap manager's discretion at 10%
   in the store's operations manual.

   best

   LFB