 Marketplace / Shopping / 7004
Re: Question about open sets at Toys R Us
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:23:55 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Michael Brenner writes:
I came across an open UCS Tie at TRU tonight. It was open on one side and I
was going to ask for a discount. I have never done that in the past but the
set could be missing parts. How receptive would a TRU manager be to the idea
of giving a break on a high price item?

If anyone has done this how did it go for you?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Mike

I found an opened Spider Slayer at TRU which scanned as $20
(Canadian dollars), which I figure is over 70% off.  Since the motor was still
there, I figured nobody had stolen anything from it.  I was right.

If you're asking for a discount, start high and let them work their way down.

"Hey, this LEGO box is open and probably missing most of its pieces..... can I
have it for free?"

Okay, maybe that won't work.  You'd better send a friend or relative in to try
it for you, and if they don't come back with it go in yourself and try a
different method.  Of course, I asked Pharma Plus for a discount on <set:8510
Lava> because it was old and unpopular (and I only needed one part from each
set), but all I was offered was 10% off.  :(