 Marketplace / Shopping / 7005
Re: Question about open sets at Toys R Us
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 06:09:11 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Richard W. Schamus writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Michael Brenner writes:
I came across an open UCS Tie at TRU tonight. It was open on one side and I
was going to ask for a discount. I have never done that in the past but the
set could be missing parts. How receptive would a TRU manager be to the idea
of giving a break on a high price item?

If anyone has done this how did it go for you?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Mike
I have. They usually give you about 20% off of the listed price. Not too
comforting for something that maybe missing pieces.

Rich

Well, LEGO does have that customer service number thing, and I'm a big 'ol
clearance hawk.  If the set you buy is missing fewer than 20% of the parts
(any more than a few and stores usually send 'em back) then call and they
will REPLACE parts missing for free.  I am not saying they will rebuild an
empty box, but they'll help make your clearance purchase complete.  After
X-Mas, they get to know me pretty well when I call in my "missing
inventory".  It helps if you have set number and page number from the
instructions for the parts you need.

P.S.
TRU typically says "nya, nya!" to discount requests, especially on LEGO.
And they won't take 'em back if they are missing anything, even if they sold
it that way.  Personally, I only buy LEGO from Wal-Mart, K-Mart and Target.
TRU just blows on selection, pricing and availablity.
Bye fer now,
Aaron