 Marketplace / Shopping / 2792
Re: End of Clearance Stock?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:27:28 GMT

Ray Sanders wrote in message <38A7C416.C15AFC0@svic.net>...

To the issue of stock suddenly vanishing... several possibilities:

o Others reading lugnet are making offers for 'the entire clearance
stock' of legos

o Store stock-balancing. One toy dept manager told me that the regional
manager would re-balance stock between stores on a case-by-case basis,
using his own car. Apparently there is no set standard mechanism, but
some people are being creative.

o Reshipment back to TLC. One KM manager tried to tell me that he could
send stuff back. Based on his store and the old stuff lying around, I
believe he was blowing smoke. Keep an eye on the Lego Outlet store stuff
for price labels from WM or KM.

o Back-room hiding. It happens. Sometimes, they just want it to vanish
for a week or two.

o Massive mark-down and we just missed it. It happens. One sunday
morning, the local store slashed the price on a big stack of Ninja
Fortress. I grabbed 10. There were two left. They did not last the day.
It happens.

I have one more scenario to add. A Fred Meyer's manager told me that if a
Lego set doesn't sell at 50% he donates it to charity. He can take the full
value as a tax write off. His sets do disappear after 50% has been around
awhile and I have never gotten any deep discounts. A different Fred Meyers
follows the computer clearance prices set by the corporate office and I can
get the deep discounts. There seems to some flexibility given to the store
managers.

Rose