 Marketplace / Shopping / 2782
2781  |  2783
Subject:
End of Clearance Stock?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:22:07 GMT

Frank Filz and I were discussing some observations we made at several of the
local Wal-Mart stores here in the Raleigh area. It seems that some of the
Wal-Mart stores had large stocks of items on clearance that "disappeared"
all of the sudden.  While the possibility that the  price dropped and
someone cleaned up on it exists, we also speculated that the stock was
either sold off to a clearance chain like Tuesday Morning or Big Lots or was
sent back to LEGO.

Since LEGO now has Outlet stores large quantities of unsold stock may be
headed that way as opposed to the clearance cycle.  Larry P noted in article
2755 (http://www.lugnet.com/market/shopping/?n=2755) that the manager at the
LEGO Outlet in GA mentioned that he could sell discontinued items at a
better price than other retailers.

Some of the items I noticed large quantities of that "disappeared" were
Advent Calendars, Adventurers Blimps, and Wal-Mart value packs.  The
Wal-Mart closest to me had about 40-50 Advent Calendars at $15 for almost a
month.  Then they were all gone.  Another Wal-Mart had a similar quantity of
Blimps at $9 - then they were gone.  So either someone (and it wasn't Frank
or I) got a great deal on a huge quanity of items cheap or Wal-Mart shipped
these items elsewhere.

Anyone else seen anything similar?

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com
http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh