 Marketplace / Shopping / 1520
  WalMart vs WalMart

A while back there was a thread (possibly several) about how a particular set would be clearanced at one WalMart but not another. I may have stumbled into a solution... Go purchase the set where it is being sold at the attractive price. Then take (...) (25 years ago, 30-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: WalMart vs WalMart

The trick is finding the other WalMart that has the item clearanced in the first place. This is especially difficult on the west coast: none of the stores here seem to go into the real heavy discounts. Now, other states....! Bruce :-( (...) (25 years ago, 30-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: WalMart vs WalMart

(...) You've had much better luck than I have, then. I tried this with the Mystic Time Lab set (great for parts!) this Spring - on clearance for $25 at 1 Wal-Mart (bought 3) but still full price ($80?) at another. The grouchy lady there wouldn't (...) (25 years ago, 1-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: WalMart vs WalMart

(...) I actually work at a K-Mart Customer Service Desk. Official policy is to match any non-clearance price if we can verify it. ('Verify' generally means a call to the other store or a sale ad from the other store in hand. Management doesn't (...) (25 years ago, 7-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: WalMart vs WalMart

(...) I think that this is because there is really no reason for these folks to be nice. They are not entrepeneurs and really don't directly see a benefit when they are "nice" being nice usually means more work, and without a profit sharing program (...) (25 years ago, 7-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Customer Service Desks (was Re: WalMart vs WalMart)

(...) I have to agree with you, but only halfway. There are two very different situations which come up: 1) the customer is argumentative/angry 2) the customer is calm and reasonable, and is simply asking if we can do something In the first case, (...) (25 years ago, 7-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: Customer Service Desks (was Re: WalMart vs WalMart)

(...) Ben, My experience has been as follows: I always ask nicely. If possible I try to speak directly with the manager. The ability to explain the reasoning (of why I am trying to buy the entire stock of a discontinued SKU) seems to get lost when (...) (25 years ago, 8-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: WalMart vs WalMart

(...) I'm often puzzled by the things that are tolerated by management at retail stores. I know working retail can suck - I've done it, but it seems like even decent managers put up with horrible behavior out of their employees. If you know that (...) (25 years ago, 8-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: WalMart vs WalMart

(...) When fast food restaurants have to offer $7.50 - $8.50 an hour plus benefits just to get -one- applicant in a month,[1] they take that person no matter how "substandard" they may be.[2] Naji [1] Happening in Dallas/Fort Worth at least. Here in (...) (25 years ago, 8-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: WalMart vs WalMart

(...) Also happening where I am. Except that we just have a huge turnover rate (average duration of employment: about 2mos.) more than we have lack of applicants. And, yes, as long as the employee doesn't steal or get the store into legal trouble (...) (25 years ago, 8-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: WalMart vs WalMart

(...) Well where I work they have brought in temps right now just to fill things in. The temps are cashiering, stocking and working in the back, helping people on the floor is one thing they are not doing. A number of them don't speak much english, (...) (25 years ago, 9-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)