 Marketplace / Shopping / 1693
Re: WalMart vs WalMart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 20:46:41 GMT

[...]
K-Mart has been the nicest to me.  I brought in a TRU receipt that
listed just half of the set name (no numbers, anything) and they
matched it.
[...]
This doesn't work all the time either.  I usually can't get them to
honor anything other than an -advertised- sale which is not a "percent
off".  The times that I thought they might honor it, they told me that
they would have to call the other store and verify that there were
still some in stock over there - which didn't work, either.

While there might be company policies about price matching, it seems
to me like it depends more on the demeanor of the sales
associate/manager you deal with.

I actually work at a K-Mart Customer Service Desk.  Official policy is
to match any non-clearance price if we can verify it.  ('Verify'
generally means a call to the other store or a sale ad from the other
store in hand.  Management doesn't usually like to accept reciepts from
other stores.  But we do match other stores' regular prices.)  Anything
beyond that depends on the associate.

As for the demeanor of individual associates... at least where I am,
about 50% of people who ever get trained for the service desk are *mean*
to customers.  (i.e., will, for example, make up rules which deny the
customer what they want)  About 25% are nice, but won't bend the rules
to benefit a customer, and the last 25% actually go out of their way to
help customers.  Management likes the last 25% best (even though we cost
the store more money _directly_, we make more customers happy, thus they
spend more money with us), at least where I am.  I don't know if this is
a typical situation or not.

Hope this helps provide insight into the sordid world of retail...

                                                Ben Olmstead/BEM
                                                <bem@mad.scientist.com>

Naji

Ray