 Marketplace / Shopping / 1716
Re: WalMart vs WalMart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 22:33:27 GMT

Naji Norder wrote:

In lugnet.market.shopping, Mike Stanley writes:

I know "they" say we have a labor shortage, but does it always mean
businesses have to put up with substandard employees?

When fast food restaurants have to offer $7.50 - $8.50 an hour plus
benefits just to get -one- applicant in a month,[1] they take that
person no matter how "substandard" they may be.[2]

Also happening where I am.  Except that we just have a huge turnover
rate (average duration of employment: about 2mos.) more than we have
lack of applicants.  And, yes, as long as the employee doesn't steal
or get the store into legal trouble (e.g., selling cigarettes to
minors), we really won't fire 'em.

Though we don't hire people straight out for service desk, either; we
hire cashiers, and those who show promise and actually stay with us
longer than a week might get promoted to service desk.

Anyway, the moral of this long story is: quality of service will be
highly dependant on which associate you speak to.  As for how to figure
out who to go to: work at the place for a while. ;-)
--
Ben Olmstead/BEM
<bem@mad.scientist.com>